Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fancy Food


Steve Sailer's post about Brooklyn hipsters finally made me try Mast Brothers chocolate. I've been seeing it for years at the Whole Foods near my job, but it took the electronic image of the brothers themselves - the beards, the gravitas, the icongrousness of their puritanical earnestness with dessert - for me to finally pay for it.

I'd put it at about the 70th percentile of all the chocolate I've tried up till now. I got two bars for $9 each - hazelnut and black truffle. The first seemed a little too bitter, with a taste that wasn't boring or unpleasant, but not particularly wonderful either. The second was similar, but salty, with a faint medicinal feel. The thing that both of them reminded me of most was cocoa powder. My mom used to make hot liquid cocoa out of it when I was a kid, and I must have licked a spoon of the actual powder once or twice in those years - if I hadn't, how else would I know this taste?

The place of Lindt's Raisin and Nut Bar at the top of my personal preferences wasn't even remotely challenged by this, which is a pity: who doesn't like to be surprised?

I've been shopping regularly at Whole Foods for a while now and have been positively surprised by it many times. Fancy cheeses, for example, really are better than the cheap kind. Many of them have tastes that seem completely unique. And these tastes tend to be far stronger than those of mass-produced cheeses. It's as if the cheap stuff was seriously watered down.

Roquefort is my favorite among the blues, Saint-andré among the Brie-like cheeses. I love Manchego's texture and would eat it more if it didn't make me nauseous the next day. Tomme de Savoie is good, as is real Cheddar.

All of the cereals I've tried at Whole Foods were worse than the Kellog's and Post kind, but the Applegate Smoked Pork Bratwurst sausages I buy there are the best sausages I've ever had. And I've got to do a shoutout for Thursday Cottage Lime Curd - really good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment