Friday, July 17, 2015

My Politics

The thing I root for the most in politics is civilization. This isn't because I'm particularly civilized myself. Old fat guys root for pro sports teams staffed by young, athletic men, so why can't ignorant slobs like me root for science and high culture? You don't have to participate in something to wish it well.

I root for humanitarianism when it doesn't conflict with the advancement of civilization, which is the vast majority of the time.

I'm not nationalistic. I don't have anything against honest, non-violent nationalism in other people, but the main modern expressions of Jewish nationalism - Judaism, liberalism, neoconnery and Israeli nationalism - dissatisfy me.

I've never believed in God. I'm sure that religion in general is beneficial to society and individuals. Atheists don't breed. But I can't unknow basic science and the history of the major faiths. Self-deceit has to be unconscious. My thinking about religion moved up into the conscious sphere long ago.

Liberals deny important biological differences between races and genders, so their view of the world isn't any more factual than religion.

Neocons claim to be American patriots but it's obvious that they aren't. Again, I can't force myself to believe things that I consciously know to be false. Also, neocons use the might of the US government to attack people who haven't attacked them. They start new conflicts and escalate already-existing ones. All humanitarians should be opposed to them.

I wish that the Jewish state had been founded on a previously-uninhabited piece of land that the Zionists would have bought from a willing seller. But that's not how it happened.

Suppose that, determined to ditch my rootless cosmopolitanism, I was willing to excuse all of Israel's wars as self-defense, which some of them actually were. There would still be a problem.

The Israeli definition of Jewishness is essentially historico-religious. But Sephardic, Syrian, Iranian, Yemeni, etc. Jews aren't really my people. I've got nothing against them. But they aren't. And I didn't need any genetic studies to know this.

When they try to be funny, what comes out isn't Jewish humor, which is really just Ashkenazi humor. When they wink, smile, shrug their shoulders, snort, etc. it doesn't look how I and my relatives do it. All the subtle, hard to define but easy to feel commonality that exists within every real people on Earth is missing between me and non-Ashkenazi Jews.

It's natural for a man to want to excuse a lot of negative stuff for his people. But why should I excuse it for a country that's determined to assimilate my people into something different, something that will no longer feel like me? There's even more assimilation in the diaspora, but at least here I don't feel obligated to root for any wars. Humanitarianism IS important to me.


***

The biggest political event of my lifetime was the collapse of the Soviet Union. Westerners are sure that it was welcomed by everyone affected except for a few scoundrels at the top, but the opposite is actually true. The system was abolished from the top and most of the little people who remember it are nostalgic for it. Including me.

Pre-WWII USSR was horrible, but the popular Western view of the post-WWII version is entirely a product of wishful thinking and Cold War propaganda. The minority of former Soviet citizens who badmouth the late USSR mostly do it for ethno-nationalist reasons. This is similar to the Indian, Malaysian, Tanzanian, etc. attitude to the British Empire - "sure we're poorer and not as well-governed as we would have been under the Brits, but independence was worth it."

Well, I already described my attitude to nationalism and civilization. And there is no question in my mind that there was more civilization in the late USSR than in any of its modern successor states. More science and high culture, less crime, ethnic conflict and divorce, no drugs, advertising, gambling or prostitution.

My ideas of how societies should work are mostly taken from my memories of how the late USSR worked. Is it hypocritical to think that way while living in the United States? Yes, but I didn't think that way when I came here. I was a conventional liberal in my youth. And like most forty-year-olds I'm now tied down to where I am by a lot of things, both material and psychological. But yes, I acknowledge some hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment