Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Thoughts on the GOP Race

A few years ago I wrote a post about nerdy politicians. Politics is full of glad-handing and back-slapping, yet there have always been a lot of nerds in it. It recently came to my attention that one type of human that's rare in the top reaches of that profession is the bitch. Yes, this is a post about Carly Fiorina.

I used to watch C-SPAN a lot, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what kinds of people win elections in America. Thinking back I can't recall many females among them that came off cattier than the average woman on the street. Many are matronly, some school-marmish. The Nice White Lady is common in the halls of power. Sarah Palin is kind of a cool mom type. I don't think any of them are as bitchy as Fiorina though.

Moving off-shore, Thatcher was emotionally cold, but not catty, I don't think. Merkel is bland. It seems that people just won't vote for obvious bitches. Every time you get ready to turn sour on humanity you discover some redeeming feature of it that you haven't noticed before. This is one of those.

I remember John Kerry's wife being described as a bitch and I have a feeling that Nancy Reagan might be one, but they haven't won any elections. Interestingly, people are quite willing to support bitchy entertainers. Madonna, Courtney Love, Whitney Houston, etc. "Divas". But politics is different.

Based on the above Fiorina doesn't have much of a chance. Who does? Jeb. Republicans are more patriarchal than Democrats, so they nominate the establishment candidate, the guy whose turn it is this year, more often. Rubio has a small chance, even though he looks like a puppy. Kasich has a small chance. Unfortunately I don't think that Trump is going to win. This race has always been Jeb's to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment