Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Nerdy Martha Stewart, the Miscellaneous Edition

A few random consumer goods recommendations:

The Leatherman Squirt.


 



I've carried this thing on my keychain for about a decade. Every guy should have one. I've used its knife today to open an Amazon package. I've used its several screwdrivers many, many times, as well as its bottle opener, pliers and other tools. Obviously, the knife is the thing that you're going to use the most.

The quality is impressive. This thing has been in my pants pocket for all these years, bumping against my keys and change, with lint getting into its insides, yet it always opens smoothly.

This company is still run by its founder, Tim Leatherman, which probably helps explain why the product is so great. The only downside to carrying it is that if you're going for jury duty and the like, building security temporarily takes it away.

 Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones.
I only use these because they look cool. I always have a black pair on my desktop and a white pair on my musical keyboard. All headphones sound good enough to me, so if I ever see a pair that looks better than this Panasonic model, I'll immediately buy it.

Edwin Jagger Gillette Mach 3 Razor


This is the best-looking razor I know of, but I'm not fully satisfied with it. The handle isn't heavy enough and too smooth, which makes it slippery when you're trying to hold it with a soapy hand. I'm willing to suffer a little for the aesthetics though. I use it with this stand.

Speaking of soap, this is where I put mine:
I love this sort of cutesiness. The guy who makes these is named Kelvin Chen. I have quite a few of his decorative kettles on windowsills and shelves around my apartment.

Speaking of cutesy stuff:

The Japanese are obsessed with it, so every time I see a Japanese novelty store in Manhattan, my hopes go up, only to be dashed 30 minutes later. They love the idea of cuteness, but something always goes wrong in the execution. I can't imagine them coming up with something as cute as this, for example.

Or this:

 
 
 
 
This guy looks even better in real life, but I'm feeling too lazy right not to get off my ass and take a proper picture of him. He's filled with sand and is quite heavy.
 

A while ago I wrote a post about the stuff that I have in my cubicle. Here's one of the things that I put there since then:

 
 
 
It's not as convenient to use as a normal staple remover, but it works. And here's my new stapler:
 
 
 
Continuing with the office theme, this is the chair I'm sitting on right now. Love it.
 
And finally, a letter opener I found on eBay. It came to me from Bulgaria, but there are no identifying signs on it, so I have no idea where and when it was made.  


 

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you don't use a safety razor, considering your interest in traditional crafted and manufactured goods like mechanical watches. Safety razors, along with traditional shave soaps and brushes, have become a fad lately. In fact, I believe it's this recent fad and trend for safety razors that has spurred companies like Edwin Jagger.

    But it's not just a fad or aesthetics, there are economic reasons for safety razors becoming more popular recently. The cartridges for the cartridge based razors are very expensive, while the disposable razors tend to be very cheap plastic razors. Safety razors tend to take some practice and skill to use well, but they tend to be made of metal and heavy and work well and provide a closer shave for much cheaper.

    They've become popular enough that many drug stores and grocery stores carry safety razors and razor blades, although the brands they carry tend to be mediocre. For good quality safety razors and blades, people tend to buy Merkur, which is a German company that still makes safety razors, or they buy used safety razors from classic companies like Gillette from back when they made them. They're still around and in good condition because they're solid, heavy, and steel products. There are many high quality razor blade brands that can be bought for very cheap on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any safety razors that looked as cool to me as my Edwin Jagger cartridge razor. I've never heard of Merkur before you mentioned it. Thanks for the recommendation. This one looks good, and I like that the handle isn't smooth, but visually I like my Edwin Jagger razor more.

      Delete
  2. By "spurred companies like Edwin Jagger", I mean spurred them to produce sleeker, more traditional looking handles for modern cartridge based razors that sort of mimic traditional safety razors.

    ReplyDelete